Izanagi Games is an Indie game company looking forward to developing the next gen of gaming.

Roleplaying Mode

Poll

Would you use RPM?

[ 6 ]
32% [32%] 
[ 2 ]
11% [11%] 
[ 5 ]
26% [26%] 
[ 0 ]
0% [0%] 
[ 2 ]
11% [11%] 
[ 2 ]
11% [11%] 
[ 2 ]
11% [11%] 

Total Votes: 19

Mathus
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Roleplaying Mode

Post by Mathus on Sun 1 Feb - 4:36

Being a VRMMORPG, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are going to be people interested in roleplaying.

Since there won't be any text chat(other than mails), the only way of communicating locally will be through talking. Now, if you happened to be roleplaying with your guild, and a couple of non-roleplayers came around, you'd want to show them that you're roleplaying and don't want to disturb. How would you do that, though? Halting the roleplay for a minute or two to calmly explain what you're doing would just break the immersive experience.

So I've come up with an idea: roleplaying mode, or RPM for short. Basically, whenever you wish to roleplay, you turn on RPM, and a symbol pops up above your head. The symbol indicates what you're doing, allowing other roleplayers to join you, and alerting non roleplayers to stay away. I was also thinking, that whenever RPM is active, anyone that isn't using RPM, is a friend or a fellow guildie is muted.

What do you guys think?

HourlongFall
IG Team
IG Team

Character
Organization (AoNB): Worlds End

Re: Roleplaying Mode

Post by HourlongFall on Sun 1 Feb - 5:58

It's a good idea, but i don't think you should mute other non-rp players.

Silmiss
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Post by Silmiss on Sun 1 Feb - 7:08

I'd probably use it to mute the crowds when going into towns XD

Nomaru
IG Team
IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru on Sun 1 Feb - 8:06

I agree with hourlongfall. Sounds good if you just take out the mute for other players.

Neail
IG Team
IG Team

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Post by Neail on Sun 1 Feb - 16:02

This is sorta adding on to what Vaereir said: Not saying that roleplaying won't happen but lets just think for a second. Imagine you are in SAO, what would be the point of roleplaying if your creating your own storyline with the people you meet and the places you go. Why would you want to play someone elses story when you could make your own. I don't see Virtual Reality as a place where a lot of roleplaying will happen because Virtual Reality is not about that, the Nerve Gear is not about that. It's about being able to live another life in a Virtual World. I would like to hear some of your responses to that (Not in a bad way).

Nomaru
IG Team
IG Team

Character

Post by Nomaru on Sun 1 Feb - 17:05

I'd leave it up to everyone else (completely changing my mind, but whatever). I personally won't be a hardcore roleplayer, but I also don't want that to change the game for people who want to roleplay. If roleplayers want it, put it in. If they don't, leave it out.

Mathus
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Post by Mathus on Sun 1 Feb - 17:27

Pardon my late response, I pulled a late-nighter last night and just woke up. Smile

I understand what you are getting at, Vaereir & Neail, and I agree, to a certain point. If you are roleplaying constantly, then there isn't any use for a Roleplaying Mode, I agree. But you're not necessarily roleplaying when playing a game. When you play a Troll in WoW, you're not roleplaying a Troll by just playing that Troll. That Troll is an avatar of you, it'll will talk like you(Because it is you :p), and behave like you. When you roleplay that Troll, you'll talk like it, give it a personality and likely interact with the world.

I understand that a VR is going to be very different from the medias that exist today, and you can pretend to be a completely different person if you'd like, and that would indeed be roleplaying. But I doubt that everyone would be like that, because frankly, that could prove tiresome for some, and I'd imagine that people would want to talk about everyday things, like the latest update, hackers, real life news and what not.

I've roleplayed for many years, and I've encountered many different forms of roleplaying. And one of the most common forms of roleplaying is so-called casual roleplaying, where you go in-character on the whim, and interact with other characters. When you're tired of roleplaying, and want to hang out with friends or train, you go out-of-character.
Another common form is that guilds and clans will form player-owned-kingdoms and cities(PoKs & PoCs respectively), forming a new environment. People will interact with said kingdoms and have specific roles, such as being the king, a guardsman, a smithy, a court jester and what not. Eventually, other groups will start to pop up, such as cults, churches, mercenaries, bandits, noble families and plots.

World of Warcraft, RuneScape, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The old Republic, Minecraft, Garrys Mod, Rust, Mount & Blade, countless forums, they all have that, and SAO will be no exception.

But that's just my experience with roleplaying, and I thought that RPM would aid people with detecting other roleplayers and current roleplaying sessions. Also, muting people was only added as an afterthought to the potential trolls, personally, I wouldn't mind that, but neither would I think that it is vital to have.

Last note, excuse me if I didn't make myself clear in this post, I was a bit fuzzy when writing it. :s

In any case, I appreciate the feedback! The more the merrier! Very Happy

Mathus
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Post by Mathus on Sun 1 Feb - 17:38

That's not a bad idea, actually, I like it!

Mathus
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB):

Post by Mathus on Sun 1 Feb - 18:06

Vaereir wrote:
Mathus wrote:That's not a bad idea, actually, I like it!
Thank you, I try not to boast but I'm usually full of ideas.. Good or bad!

A person with many ideas is always great to have, preferably someone with mostly good ideas! :p

Leriko
Old Member
Old Member

Character
Organization (AoNB): The Shinsengum

Post by Leriko on Mon 13 Apr - 9:20

Regarding the role play, I'd be going all chuunibyou up on them, even if they didn't understand what I'm saying.

"Quick, Saito, night is falling and the danger beasts are approaching! We must use the Dark Flame to escape!"
"What the hell are you talking about, Leriko!?"
"I am the Dark Flame residing inside of me! You shall face my wrath for I am an unstoppable force! Darkness...BURST CANNON!"
lol a little conversation a friend and I had on the street one night as I was in chuunibyou mode xD
I plan to follow up in SAO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 20:54

Current date/time is Mon 5 Dec - 20:54